[SOLVED] OSS modules won't build Kernel 3.8-rc6

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

[SOLVED] OSS modules won't build Kernel 3.8-rc6

Postby Matti » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 pm

I've installed today Kernel 3.8-rc6 from Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA and unfortunately Open Sound won't build modules for that version. I've seen others reporting that it also won't build modules for 3.8-rc4 and 3.8-rc5. I'm currently using 3.8-rc3 which works with OSSv4 so something changed after that version.

Installation of OSSv4 package builded from Mercurial repository on 3.8-rc6:
Code: Select all
(Odczytywanie bazy danych ... 453637 plików i katalogów obecnie zainstalowanych.)
Przygotowywanie do zastąpienia pakietu oss-linux 4.2-2006 (wykorzystując oss-linux-4.2-2006_amd64.deb) ...
OSS not loaded.
Rozpakowywanie pakietu zastępującego oss-linux ...
Upgrading OSS - will not purge /usr/lib/oss.
Konfigurowanie pakietu oss-linux (4.2-2006) ...
Building OSS Modules for Linux-x86_64 3.8.0-030800rc6-generic

OSS build environment set up for REGPARM kernels

Building module osscore
Building module oss_ali5455
Compiling module oss_ali5455 failed
make -C /lib/modules/3.8.0-030800rc6-generic/build M=/usr/lib/oss/build modules
make[1]: Wejście do katalogu `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-030800rc6-generic'
  CC [M]  /usr/lib/oss/build/oss_ali5455.o
In file included from /usr/lib/oss/build/module.inc:45:0,
                 from /usr/lib/oss/build/oss_ali5455.c:21:
/usr/lib/oss/build/pci_wrapper.inc:21:1: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘osspci_probe’
/usr/lib/oss/build/pci_wrapper.inc:69:1: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘osspci_remove’
In file included from /usr/lib/oss/build/oss_ali5455.c:21:0:
/usr/lib/oss/build/module.inc:51:12: error: ‘osspci_probe’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/lib/oss/build/module.inc:52:13: error: ‘osspci_remove’ undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from /usr/lib/oss/build/oss_ali5455.c:21:0:
/usr/lib/oss/build/module.inc:33:12: warning: ‘instance’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
In file included from /usr/lib/oss/build/module.inc:45:0,
                 from /usr/lib/oss/build/oss_ali5455.c:21:
/usr/lib/oss/build/pci_wrapper.inc:17:18: warning: ‘dev_map’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/lib/oss/build/pci_wrapper.inc:18:12: warning: ‘n_devmap’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/oss/build/oss_ali5455.o] Błąd 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/oss/build] Błąd 2
make[1]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-030800rc6-generic'
make: *** [default] Błąd 2
Forcing re-detection of installed soundcards
Starting Open Sound System
Previous start of OSS crashed the system
Please resolve the situation and remove file
"/usr/lib/oss/starting". Then start OSS by
running soundon again.
Przetwarzanie wyzwalaczy pakietu libc-bin...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Przetwarzanie wyzwalaczy pakietu man-db...

There is also another problem for anyone using Chrome/Chromium sound stopped working in version 24 of those browsers. Chrome has only ALSA support and it's emulation worked in Chrome 23 but it's not working in version 24 (Stable) and anything newer (Beta, Unstable).

Issue 158478: Linux: ppapi flash suddenly no audio output on upgrade with open sound system (oss) - normal sound with alsa

The bug report title isn't correct because there is also no sound output with HTML5 content and text to speech sites besides PPAPI Flash.
Last edited by Matti on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matti

Re: OSS modules won't build Kernel 3.8-rc6

Postby igorzwx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Have you tried to recompile OSS4?

Ubuntu's kernels tend to be buggy, especially "release candidates" (rc).
Moreover, they may not support OSS4:

Canonical/Ubuntu has chosen to disable OSS support in their kernels and ignore any bugs filed against OSS4 packages.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound

This may mean that you need to recompile OSS4 for your "release candidate", "Kernel 3.8-rc6 from Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA".

Ubuntu's Chromium might be buggy as well.
Sound (playback) in Chromium v.24 works without problems on Arch Linux

Code: Select all
$ yaourt chromium
1 extra/chromium 24.0.1312.56-1 [installed: 24.0.1312.52-1]

Everything works with OSS4 (without any ALSA emulation), except for microphone (with Chromium) and HTML5 (with Chromium).

And "text to speech" works with OSS4 and Chromium v.24 (without any ALSA emulation) in Chromium's "Translate"
http://translate.google.com/?q=Przetwar ... a=N&tab=wT

If Ubuntu is so buggy, you may try Linux Mint or else.
igorzwx

Postby Matti » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Chrome and Chromium support only ALSA (it's the only sound driver for Linux versions) therefore you have to emulate it to get sound with OSSv4. Even one of the Chromium devs posted it in the comments of that bug (comment #34). It seems that you don't even know you have ALSA emulation setup on your Arch.

ALSA emulation Open Sound System - ArchWiki

I know that Ubuntu disabled OSS support in their kernels but this is thus far the only one that didn't work with OSSv4. I'm using Open Sound System on Ubuntu for about one year and there were many new kernel versions all of them worked. The other user that reported problems with building modules on 3.8-rc4 and 3.8-rc5 uses Debian Wheezy/Sid (comment #31).

The problems aren't distro specific and Ubuntu atleast for me been very stable and not as buggy (it just works) as users of other more elitist distros make it out to be (Arch has also it's share of bugs just like any other program).
Matti

Postby igorzwx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Matti wrote:Chrome and Chromium support only ALSA (it's the only sound driver for Linux versions) therefore you have to emulate it to get sound with OSSv4. Even one of the Chromium devs posted it in the comments of that bug (comment #34). It seems that you don't even know you have ALSA emulation setup on your Arch.

ALSA emulation Open Sound System - ArchWiki

I do not have any sort of ALSA emulation enabled on my Arch Linux. Nevertheless, sound playback works with Chromium v.24, except for HTML5.

Matti wrote:The other user that reported problems with building modules on 3.8-rc4 and 3.8-rc5 uses Debian Wheezy/Sid (comment #31).

Try to build OSS4 with that rc kernel installed, and post the output on terminal here (in English, not in Polish).

1. Remove (purge) OSS4.
2. Remove /usr/lib/oss
3. Install your rc kernel, the proper linux-headers, etc.
4. Reboot.
5. Compile OSS4 from mercurial
6. Install OSS4 and run it.
7. Post the output on terminal here (in English).
igorzwx

Postby cesium » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 pm

The attached patch allows it to build (can either be applied to the source or to /usr/lib/oss/build/ followed by "sudo sh install.sh"). Haven't tested it much though.
Attachments
patch.txt
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 4652 times
cesium
Developer

Postby Matti » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Thank you very much Cesium. I applied your patch directly to /usr/lib/oss/build/ and then all the modules builded succesfully. Know I've got OSSv4 sound working with 3.8-rc6 kernel.
Matti

Re: [SOLVED] OSS modules won't build Kernel 3.8-rc6

Postby tarik2cyprian » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 pm

I am currently using Ubuntu Studios using Linux-x86_64 3.8.0-22-lowlatency and am having the some problems.

Can some one show me in detail of how to use this patch. I am not familiar with patching at all

Thanks again

TCR
tarik2cyprian

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:56 am

tarik2cyprian wrote:I am currently using Ubuntu Studios using Linux-x86_64 3.8.0-22-lowlatency and am having the some problems.

Can some one show me in detail of how to use this patch. I am not familiar with patching at all

1. Are you familiar with "text editor"?
2. Have you tried to read the "patch.txt"?
3. Have you tried to build OSS4 from Mercurial?

The manual is here:
1. Installing Prerequisite Packages https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenS ... e_Packages
2. Building from Source https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenS ... rom_Source
igorzwx

Postby cesium » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:42 pm

What to do (assuming you build from source):
Extract the source per the links igor posted earlier.
Grab the attachment. Ungzip it ('gunzip'), and copy the resulting file over the pci_wrapper.inc file in [OSS source root directory]/setup/Linux/oss/build
Continue building as described in the links.

If, instead of building from source, you use a binary build, ungzip the file, copy it over the pci_wrapper.inc file in /usr/lib/oss/build and do:
'cd /usr/lib/oss/build'
'sudo sh install.sh'
erase the /usr/lib/oss/starting file if it exists ('sudo rm /usr/lib/oss/starting')
start OSS normally if desired ('sudo soundon')
Attachments
pci_wrapper.inc.gz
(962 Bytes) Downloaded 559 times
cesium
Developer

Postby tarik2cyprian » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Sorry for not providing enough info concerning my problems. Yes Igorzwx I did all three questions you provided i was just not sure where to copy the patch.txt at.
Thanks for the manual any ways.

Cesium I followed you instructions and the pci_wrapper.inc.gz worked out perfectly.

Thanks once again Igorzwx and Cesium
tarik2cyprian

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:38 pm

tarik2cyprian wrote:i was just not sure where to copy the patch.txt at.

It is very simple: "patch" is "diff".

In computing, diff is a file comparison utility that outputs the differences between two files. It is typically used to show the changes between one version of a file and a former version of the same file. Diff displays the changes made per line for text files... The output is called a "diff", or a patch, since the output can be applied with the Unix program patch. The output of similar file comparison utilities are also called a "diff"; like the use of the word "grep" for describing the act of searching, the word diff is used in jargon as a verb for calculating any difference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff

The manual is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff
igorzwx

Postby JustAnother » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Thankyou for this cesium :) Can now use kernel v3.9 (just hit Debian Testing)!
JustAnother

Return to Linux