Solaris 9 x86 install not working. Hangs.

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

Solaris 9 x86 install not working. Hangs.

Postby jeffjoh » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:39 pm

I am trying to install on Solaris 9 x86. I installed it once, but accidentally picked the wrong audio card. I couldn't change the selection with soundconf because it always hangs right after loading the oss module. The oss module loads fine, but then it just sits there.

So, I modunloaded the oss module and rm -rf the oss directory, and the /etc/oss.conf. I then rm -rf'd the /dev/au* /dev/midi* /dev/mix* devices. I try to rerun the install script, and all goes well until just after I select the directory to install into. Then I get a blank grey screen and in the bottom left it says Finishing ... , then it never does.

How do I get rid of this thing and reinstall it?

Thank you.
jeffjoh

Re: Solaris 9 x86 install not working. Hangs.

Postby dev » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:19 pm

jeffjoh wrote:I am trying to install on Solaris 9 x86. I installed it once, but accidentally picked the wrong audio card. I couldn't change the selection with soundconf because it always hangs right after loading the oss module. The oss module loads fine, but then it just sits there.

So, I modunloaded the oss module and rm -rf the oss directory, and the /etc/oss.conf. I then rm -rf'd the /dev/au* /dev/midi* /dev/mix* devices. I try to rerun the install script, and all goes well until just after I select the directory to install into. Then I get a blank grey screen and in the bottom left it says Finishing ... , then it never does.

How do I get rid of this thing and reinstall it?

Thank you.

You still need to delete /usr/kernel/drv/oss* and reboot.
In future, you should use /usr/lib/oss/scripts/uninstall.sh (it's in the
README file).

Regards,
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Return to Solaris